Hands up in the air if you’ve had your family pictures taken recently!! Yep. I thought so 🙂 It’s that time of the year…. Christmas cards!!
We usually get a photo taken whether it’s of the whole family or just our kids. I love trying new photo opportunities and when I heard about The Simple Portrait Project, I was excited to try it!!
The concept behind the project is simple. Using one light, one prop, no descriptive backdrop and 30 minute sessions the goal is to achieve a very natural unedited look where your family can be themselves and relax.
It was an amazing experience and we not only were able to get some stunning photos right on the spot, but we had a lot of fun also!!
They had hip music playing, snacks and drinks for the family and even some liquor if you needed a shot to loosen you up before the photo shoot!! Ha.
To learn more about The Simple Portrait Project, read about it HERE. If you’re local, they still have a few sessions left through the 12th!
Here are my tips for what to wear for family portraits:
- Don’t wear something you wouldn’t normally wear. It will look like you did!
- Coordinate colors, don’t match. I like to choose 2-3 coordinating colors and spread them out among the family. Maybe a scarf that’s the same color as someone’s shirt or pants.
- Mix up bottoms. Not everyone needs to be in jeans. Maybe a couple in jeans, someone in a skirt or colored denim.
- I like at least one person in pattern.
- Don’t overdo the props. Sometimes less is more!
- Most of all, have fun!! Don’t be too serious!