Your bedroom should be a peaceful and serene retreat.
We’ve lived with a less than peaceful and serene bedroom space for the entirety of our marriage thus far and recently I said enough is enough! Our master bedroom retreat was fully renovated and restyled this spring alongside our farmhouse master bathroom. I’m hear to tell you if you don’t have a restful and relaxing bedroom, it’s time you get it! We waited way too long never realizing what an impact it can have on your life!
Today for our Room by Room Summer Showcase, I’m going to give you 5 simple tips to get you on the road to enjoying your bedroom space again. Even if a full renovation isn’t in the budget, there are some things you can do right now that will make a difference.
5 Ways to Create a Bedroom You Will Enjoy Spending Time In!
Unfortunately, many times our bedroom space become a dumping ground for things when we do not have another space. It’s easy enough to justify this when you know you can shut the door! Instead, I’m going to challenge you to think of your bedroom as a retreat. When you do this, you are less likely to throw your unwanted stuff in the space.
- Choosing a soothing color for the walls. This time around we chose white. I really wanted a serene and fresh palette. White might not be for you, but consider your choice for the long-term.
- Declutter it! You may need to do one big purge and then once a week, go around and put away clothes or other things that have accumulated through the week. There’s nothing worse than having to move stuff off the bed to even get in it!
- Opt out of electronics. We do have a tv but use it for catching up on our favorite shows together. What I don’t do is have a phone, iPad, or laptop in the space. Work needs to be separate from your bedroom.
- Pretty up your bedding. Add throws, pillows, and linens that you love and make your bed up in the morning. It will help you start the day right and help with that clutter factor above.
- Add ambiance to your space. During our renovation, we really were really seeking a retreat to go to at the end of the day. Somewhere we could relax and unwind. We added a fireplace to help create that feeling. Maybe you can’t do that yet, but even candles, soothing music, or a linen spray would be a good place to start.
It amazes both my husband and me now that we wait so long to do this project. What a difference it is in the way we end our day and the way we wake up. Since these things are in place, I’ve noticed an increased desire on our parts for picking up our clothes instead of just dropping them. That alone has saved my sanity and makes me a happier wife!
Here are the other week’s of our Room by Room series if you need to catch up.
Now, let’s see what our friends have showcased this week!
To life feeling like home!